Category: Blog Written by: Super User
Often gardeners have their own set of choices when it comes to pots for plants and planters. If you are someone looking for a different and exclusive look, here are some tips to help you through. Just keep in mind that the days when choices were limited are gone now. Today, you have plenty of varieties and event your pots and plants need panache. So, if you are trying to buy pots for your porch, deck, balcony or patio, learn how the planters create with style.
You never know the gardener whose style and pots you admire planted up that beautiful planter by stopping to buy right from the nursery you chose to shop at. It might be the same set of hundreds of pots for plants from where he had selected. So, instead of envying or worrying about the pot or the design, look for the options that would work for you and fit your needs and expectations. Just keep in mind the trick lies in the selection.
Plan your space and structure
Think about the structure of your container planning. This means that if you are selecting plants of 4 to 6 inches’ pots, you will have to estimate their height, shape and growth habit. Normally the growth of plants is clear and successful combination is when you select pots for plants from each form. Organizing with taller plants at the back and then arranging the plants according to their heights is a good option. The way you want to have the look, you can set the pots and the plants.
While planning the place and the structure, you can create a strong, architectural statement by planting one bold plant in the center. Let your creativity get sky high and visualize how would like to have your terrace garden. You will find yourself with varieties of options and ideas.
Consider the growing conditions of the chosen plants
Along with a selection of the pots for plants, you should also consider the conditions your selected plants need to grow properly. For example, if a plant needs sun rays at least for some time daily and you put it indoors, it is going to affect its growth and eventually, the plant will have to struggle to survive as well. so, once you have selected the location, find out whether the plants you have chosen are going to survive there or not.
When selecting plants, it is also necessary you select plants with similar moisture content to grow and to be placed together. Secondly, soil preference is also important when selecting pots for plants. A well-informed sales associate will be able to provide you all these details.
Go for contrast textures
Color plays a vital role when you opt for container planning. So, once you have selected the planters and the plants, gather the group of candidates and think about the color and texture of the leaves of different plants. Leaves texture range and combining them with contrast ones will grab the eyes. Go for some exciting texture combination and feel good about it.
Select bold colors
When it comes to plants, bold colors are good. In fact, a well-imposed container planting is visually stimulating just like a painting. So, once the selection of pots for plants is done, combine complementary colors to generate energy and excitement. You can also create a stunning sophisticated look by keeping all green plants or mixing white and light colored plants and flowers. It is all up to you.
A planter offers great opportunities to create and experiment with dramatic color combinations. When you will enter into the thinking and imagining the process, you will find that creating a wonderful combination is not so difficult. It is only the time till you decide. To start with you can even check out the ideas offered by experts online. Planters look their best when you combine the different habits of the plants.
Choose the best plants and create your garden space. You do not need to have a large space or a big ground to start with. Beautiful planters also depend on good soil, fertilizer, and careful watering. Make beautiful garden containers once the pots for plants are selected. You can even decorate the pots with some pebbles, stones or even broken china pieces. Go ahead, the sky is the limit.
You are a plant lover and want to make your pots and planters look fabulous always. Picking the right flower pot is essential because gone are the days when there were few options and people had to compromise with one aspect or another. Here are some tips to help you pick perfect pots for plants and providing your plants the best home.
- Consider location – Check out the plot where you would like to place the pots. Are you looking for a statement or an outstanding feature in your garden? Or you are looking for definite wow factor. Maybe it is just functionality that you are looking for. Find out what exactly you need and then look for the flower pot fitting in your expectations.
- Decide your style – When you are planning a garden, regardless of whether it is small or big, you should design it according to your taste. You can also look for matching style with the interior or exterior of your home, whether you want to stick to contemporary or slick, traditional or formal, personal aesthetic or anything specific. Above all, you need to pick a pot that you love, the one that resonates you.
- Consider the size factor –Your pots should be size appropriate for the space you have chosen for them. Going for a bigger sized flower pot is always good because even if you have a small space, going for too many small pots will be messy and unmanageable. The place will look cluttered and even smaller. Going for a large sized pot will be better, but you can go with a simple group of three also.
- Create an interesting composition - If you are looking for a number of pots for plants, you should mix the sizes and textures to give your garden an interesting structure. You can try three different sizes for compatibility or three different colors if you wish to. Many people prefer flower pot of only one color and some like simply white in different textures. However, selection of the color or size is completely up to you. If you are not very sure about the combinations, you can check out for some ideas on websites offering examples.
- Carefully choose the color – Bright and strong primary colors attract, but avoiding them in the first place is advisable. These pots attract too much attention towards themselves and are also jarring to the eye. If you are looking for some contrast in colors, go for soft colors and combine them as you find it suitable.
- Spend money wisely – If you are looking for a flower pot in a prominent position, going with a hero type is good, but if you want pots for more functional areas, go for less expensive ones. In these places, you want people to look at your plants and not the pots.
- Do not forget the materials – Many people love terra-cotta pots because it seems they are classic and underrated material looking forward to coming back into the garden. One of the advantages you have with these pots is that they age gracefully in sun giving that perfect look you might be looking for since long.
- Remember –Always buy or prepare the best potting mix and keep the pots raised from the ground so that the plants get proper air and good drainage.
Always keep in mind that a rich looking flower pot will redecorate your home outside or in. therefore, spending time in choosing a good and best fitting one is worth. Plants add a lot of depth and warmth to space. Above all, they are budget friendly option to give your home a new and refreshing look. Put together a handful of tips and get perfect plants and planters for your home.
Always remember to bring in your personality and taste. Whether it is the plant or the flowerpot, you should make sure they reflect your taste and style. So, the next time you plan to head out to buy some plants, make sure the planters are perfect and chosen with style. Once you let loose your creativity and take into account the above tips, you will find that creating perfect plant combinations is easier than you had imagined.
Category: Blog Written by: Super User
Just like accessories over a well thought out outfit, buying the right planter will pull together your outdoor garden space. Getting the right one could be tricky, though. Nowadays, varieties of plants are available in the market, like metal ones which hold water better as compared to the porous ones made of wood. Similarly, the lightweight plastic ones are not sturdy and so not ideal for large plants. So, if you have an idea of the basics of the plant pots, it will be easier for you to take the decision.
One of the most important things that you should keep in mind that the style and the size of planter depend on the garden and the type of the plant you are planning to plant in it. However, if you are looking for a pot to just amp up your garden or you really want to grow plants of different types, here are some tips to help you find right planters.
A good size
Generally speaking, a good size pot is one that holds a considerable amount of soil and also permits some room for the roots to grow. This helps you see the flowering plant more than the planter. So, it seems ideal for almost everyone who is looking for plant pots.
Pots are made of different materials. Planters made of wood and metal are not just affordable, but also easy to move from one position to another. There are pros and cons of using both the types and depending on your priorities and preferences, you should select one of them. Wood planters are porous and allow better drainage which makes them not so fit for planting inside directly. They get mildewed and cannot be cleaned easily. If you have a plant that requires a lot of water, choose metal or plastic planter so that water is saved from getting evaporated.
On the other hand, metal pots would absorb heat and you will have to keep an eye on it so that the soil does not get dry. If you are looking for planters just to amp up your garden, ceramic or terra-cotta ones would be great. They come in an array of colors and you can find anything to match your garden setting. The only thing is that these planters are expensive and breakable as compared to others.
Going for lightweight plastic pots would be highly cost-effective, but they are not sturdy. This means plastic planter is not ideal for heavy plants and would not withstand weather as well.
Consider the seasons
For the plants, you intend to keep outdoors, it is very important you choose the planters capable of standing up well to the elements like those made of wood or hefty ones like stone or cement. If you go for the looks and decoration to opt for ceramic or terra-cotta, you should be prepared for the cracks that get developed on them during extreme winter. You can save them from cracking by keeping them indoors during winter and then taking them out when the temperature increases outside.
Keep in mind the drainage
Before you take the decision of buying the planter or get carried away by the points to be taken into account, do not forget the drainage aspect. Every plant has its own watering needs. Planters come with or without drainage holes these days. Consider the draining requirement of the plant you are going to buy a planter for and then decide on the pots.
Drainage holes are designed to prevent overwatering or water logging in the roots of the plant. However, the planters without drainage holes are meant for decorative plants only because almost every plant needs air and water, both to grow properly. So, check this aspect beforehand so that you do not have to face practical difficulty with the planter.
Once you have decided the type of planter you need to have, it becomes important you look for a good shop to buy the pots and planters. Nowadays, you have plenty of options available. So, select the seller with a reputation to provide you with good quality pots. Good plants depend on soil, water, and fertilizer. So, take some time, decide on the material suitable for your plants and the weather in your place. Select your planter from the biggest collection of planters, pots, and container gardening products.
Looking at micro-gardening or gardening in a container? If you are confused about what kind of plant pots you should choose, you are not alone. There are varieties of designs, materials, styles and shapes available out there. Compare the different options you have in front of you before you finalize the plant container. Taking enough time to analyze and compare will help you save time, money and also save the environment.
Important points to keep in mind
- Cost – Financial cost is one of the main factors that affect the shopping. There are many pots available in the market to buy – from cheap to expensive and from simple to decorative.
- Sturdiness – The second thing that is important is the longevity of the plant pots. This you can decide after considering your requirement. Are you looking for pots for a short-term project? If so, maybe looks are not so important. If it is for decorative purpose, maybe going for durability would mean less consumption of resources.
- Consider the environmental impact –There are some planter materials which wash away our natural resources. Some use fewer resources and have smaller environmental footprints. Manufacturing and transporting some plant pots need the significant use of fossil fuels. Even if you do not give much heed to this aspect, as a conscious customer, you should. Choose pots made from sustainable materials. You can also reuse pots or containers creatively to grow your plants.
- Time and energy – If you lack time, you will prefer buying a flower pot. If you have some time and you are ready to invest some energy putting in your creativity, you can use varieties of containers into practical planters. You can check out on relevant websites how to reuse containers as plant pots and get plenty of low costs creative and inspiring ideas.
- Pros and cons – After taking into account the other aspects, it becomes very important to consider the profits and drawbacks of using different materials, types, and designs of flower pots. So, before you go shopping, check out the advantages and disadvantages of some of the materials and types of containers.
- Any specific condition – Every person has one or more specific condition when buying a product. Normally there are three typical conditions for buying plant pots and they are – drainage, porosity, and weight.
- Drainage – This is the first condition that a gardener looks into the pot before buying. Whichever pot you buy, make sure it has proper drainage holes in it. Healthy plants not only need water and room to grow, but also adequate oxygen for the roots. In fact, depending on the type of plant you are planning to grow, you can decide the material also.
- Absorbency – Porous plant pots like those made of terra-cotta, clay, paper pulp, timber and other natural materials, let air to move through them. This air circulates around the roots of the plant and when the moisture evaporates from the soil, it cools the soil. It also helps draw an excess of water from the plants and prevent them from rotting. The bottom side of these containers dry out fast and so they need frequent watering.
- Weight – Weight of the pot matters because most soils get heavy especially when they are watered. So, if you choose a heavy container, moving it around would be a herculean task for you. So, when you go buying the plant pots, consider the total weight which includes the weight of the pot, water, soil and the plant. This will be all the more important if you are gardening on deck or balcony. Also, you should consult the construction engineer whether the balcony is capable of handling the additional weight of the plant pots or not.
Another point to be taken into account is that if you like to continuously change the look of your garden or prefer moving your pots from here to there on regular basis, select containers made from lightweight materials only. However, you can also put them on castors before planting in them. On the other hand, if you need to place the plant pots in windy or exposed position, consider buying heavier pots and you can plant top heavy and tall plants in it for added advantage. You can also try some new positions for your existing plants.